Power Plants in the Philippines can be categorized according to its nature of ownership and operation. It could be;
1. National Power Corporation (NPC) owned and operated power plants. Examples of these plants are Angat Hydroelectric Power Plant and Calaca Coal-Fired Power Plant
2. NPC owned power plants but operated by a private company. Examples are Limay Combined Cycle Power Plant and Kalayaan Pumped Storage Power Plant.
3. NPC’s Independent Power Producers (NPC-IPP). Examples are Bauang Diesel Power Plant and Sual Coal-Fired Power Plant.
4. Merchant Plants (Privately owned Plants that has no contracts with the NPC). Examples are Sta. Rita Combined Cycle Power Plant and Northern Negros Geothermal Power Plant.
However, it can be best categorized according to fuel source and technology. Then, it could be;
1. Hydroelectric Power Plants [complete list]
2. Geothermal Power Plants [complete list]
3. Coal Fired Power Plants [complete list]
4. Combined Cycle Power Plants (Natural Gas)
5. Combined Cycle Power Plants (Diesel)
6. Diesel Power Plants (Internal combustion)
7. Wind Turbine Power Plants
8. Solar PV Power Plants
Below is a map showing the geographical location of power plants in the Philippines;